A frittata that’s delicious and made without any eggs? How can it be?! Yup, it’s true… This frittata is egg-free, chalk full of protein AND it’s delicious. I used asparagus and onions as my veggies but feel free to mix it up and add your favourites.
Time: 20 minute prep time + 25-30 minutes bake time
Yields 8-10 servings
2 1/2 cups chickpea flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 cups water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 bunch asparagus, washed and trimmed
Fresh sprouts or herbs to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Whisk together chickpea flour, baking powder, sea salt, garlic powder, cumin, thyme and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add in water and whisk to mix, set aside.
- Add olive oil and sliced red onion to a large cast iron or oven proof skillet and sauté on medium high heat until caramelized. Remove onions from the pan and set aside.
- Return your skillet to the heat, it should still be oiled from the onions, if not add a little more oil to the pan. Pour chickpea flour mixture into the skillet. Turn off heat but keep skillet on the burner. Spread onions over chickpea mixture and then arrange asparagus around frittata (I arranged them in a dial like pattern).
- Place skillet into the oven for 25-30 minutes. You want the centre of the frittata firm to touch and edges just golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let set 5 minutes. Serve immediately topped with sprouts or greens to garnish or keep frittata in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy!